Name:
Location: Newcastle, Ontario, Canada

Born in Toronto, a degree in Psychology at Carleton in Ottawa, ran a photography business for 10 years from a studio in Parkdale, Toronto, apprenticed with a stained glass artist, and, and, and...

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Looking at Toronto with binoculars...for the first time

November, 2004
My mom, Jean, with Finn,
getting to know our land.


So, unbeknownst to me earlier today, I am starting a blog tonite. Tried to respond to a friends blog and here I am. Here in the country that is. That is also very new to me. Having grown up in the teeming metropolis of Toronto, only deviating for university and post university travelling and the occasional trip somewhere cool and different, I feel very connected and fond of this megacity. I am not intimidated by it, I like the diversity and that you can always find something new to do there and feel it is my home basically. Not so now, as my husband and I and our young children sold our semi-detached, no backyard to speak of, postage-stamp lot, house last November, 2004 and moved to our new home in the outskirts of Newcastle, Ont. Population 8,250.

We now have a detached older house, a beautiful old red barn and 17 acres of land comprising two cool fields, a small forest and a creek. The house needs more work than we have money for, but ideas of what we could do to the house, well they keep coming. We moved in November, after a slightly worrisome scenario of having bought a new place before we sold our current place. Scary but done. We knew we were moving into a house with no insulation in the top floor, in the roof and I had envisioned my two children with chattering teeth and questioning eyes as we tried to keep them warm by burning furniture. We only had one car, as that was all we needed in Toronto, and even that one was not necessary as we often rode our bikes 20 minutes to work and back. And with TTC, it was a questionable indulgence. But now, in the country, on a road with no sidewalks, no car as my husband needed it to get to work, and no knowledge of this little town we were .9km from the center of I truly did wonder what we had done.
But with almost a year under our belt, although I still wonder that somewhat frequently, there are times that I know for certain why we DID do this venture.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a pretty wonderful job for a first-time (reluctant) blogger. I love reading your stories, especially since we can't have our ten-times-daily chats at work any more.

Talk soon,

Jane

12:07 p.m., November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,the train picture took me right back to your place again - and the night picture looked cosy and wonderful. I do miss you all.

I enjoyed your writing - its like a phone chat! and look forwrd to more blogs.
Love Hilary

5:11 p.m., November 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

I haven't met you, but feel like I have. I did speak to you on the phone when you were at Hilary's in Sherwood Park a couple of years ago. I'm Hilary friend, Bev Walker. I always enjoy hearing about you, Tim and the kids, and seeing the beautiful pictures you and Tim send Hilary, so she sent me your blog, and here I am checking it out. First time I've ever visted "a blog"...so thanks for the education.

I feel very blessed to have grown up on a farm, so I think you've done something wonderful for your kids, and for yourself. The stars are amazing, aren't they? When you're in the city, it's easy to forget that there are stars. When I visit the farm (my mom still lives there), I always feel in awe of the stars, and the sunsets and sunrises.

My mom taught us to wave to the train engineers too. My grandfather was a section foreman for the CPR. Mom grew up in a "section house" close to the tracks, as Grandpa was responsible for the maintainance of the tracks. My great uncle, his brother, worked for CN, and my ex-husband's father was a train engineer. My ex-husband collected model trains as did my great uncle.

I feel very "connected" to the railroad, and think that's another gift you're giving your kids. Growing up close to nature gives one an understanding and appreciation of many things that we miss in the city. And the sound of the train will stay with the kids forever too.

I envy your life there, and look forward to reading more about it on your blog. At the same time, I'm well aware that's it's not all "romantic" living in the country...which makes for better reading AND, as you mentioned, relating to others!

Take care, Carrie, and please say "Hello" to Tim for me.

Bev

6:19 p.m., November 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home