Name:
Location: Newcastle, Ontario, Canada

Born in Toronto, a degree in Psychology at Carleton in Ottawa, ran a photography business for 10 years from a studio in Parkdale, Toronto, apprenticed with a stained glass artist, and, and, and...

Friday, November 11, 2005

One of the government's good ideas...

Late January, 2005
Luckily, our winter fun was not limited to the ice rink I attempted to build as it all flowed to one corner and sat not quite freezing, for quite awhile. Apparently, level ground is a must when deciding where to build a skating zone. My husband and the kids were cajoled to come “play” on it a couple of times but since four bodies quite filled the only frozen space you could only kind of shuffle about and the concept was lost on the kids.

So, even before we had moved I had noticed that right in the center of Newcastle was an Ontario Early Learning Center in the town hall. A drop-in place for parents and kids it was a Godsend. We would pile inside, strip off the wet and cold things, throw them in a corner as the place was filled and no hangers remained, and walk into the smaller of two rooms. Filled with toys, games, books, art supplies and ideas the place gave the kids chances to run amok and meet other kids and for me to connect with other adults and learn their connection to Newcastle. Overseeing us all were the wonderful duo of Blanca and Lisa who ran the center.

Early into our move to Newcastle there was a snowstorm on a morning I had planned to go to the center. Thinking that this weather would not daunt the regular visitors to the center, I was not about to be put off getting there myself. Not wanting my big city connection to be seen as a weakness, I dressed the kids so that they were immobile, wedged them into the two kid stroller, covered the whole contraption with a rain cover that was clamped at the front for the wind and headed out. No sidewalk on the a busy road was the main obstacle. The fact that the stroller was NOT an offroad version was a minor consideration. The two together made me consider how much stubborness can be be dangerous as I timed when I passed under the railroad overpass. This was the narrowest part of the road so I checked for no cars in sight and ran at the stroller to get it at its top speed. Maneuvering was a piece of work as the four wheels all wanted to check out different parts of the road, but we succeeded, got past the overpass and then keeping to the side finally came to the sidewalk about a block from the center.

Feeling buoyed by the closeness I checked the kids, happily stuporous in the heat that was within their “dome.” So we arrived, pushed down my giggly feelings of conquering the nasty country elements and entered the center to the surprised looks of Blanca and Lisa. NOONE else had dared go out on such a wintery day. Here I thought I was going to show the Newcastleonians that I was no bit of fluff and they had wisely just given the center a miss. You see, stubborness has its pitfalls. We did stay and played for an hour though and had Blanca and Lisa's undivided attention. From that day Blanca always seemed to know who we were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home